Conflict Management Training – Reducing workplace violence
Quell offer the widely recognised Maybo package that offers a complete conflict management training service on all aspects of dealing with workplace conflict and abuse.
Tailoring conflict resolution training and certification to meet needs
Before any conflict management training is agreed Quells experienced conflict managers will carry out a training needs analysis. This will ensure that training is designed and delivered to suit the needs of the staff, service users and the organisation. Maybo packages have pioneered scenario-based training in conflict management and personal safety, and each course incorporates real scenarios that are encountered by the staff being trained.
If the staff or employer would like recognised certification the course can be City & Guilds accredited.
Conflict management and personal safety
This core conflict management training covers how to prevent and defuse conflict and reduce risk. The learning includes:
- Health and Safety responsibilities
- Policy and guidance
- Identifying flashpoints
- Proactive service delivery
- Risk reduction and lone working
- Verbal and non-verbal messages
- Calming skills
- Managing incidents and post-incident considerations
Maybo’s scenario based conflict resolution training requires skilled facilitation. Our trainers have a professional background in managing violence ‘first hand’ in range of sectors. They then undergo a comprehensive on-going development programme to ensure they are always best placed to help people find better ways of dealing with conflict.
The courses are tailored for
Work – customer facing in sports centres, libraries, offices, shops, bars, parks, parking, enforcement, housing estates, buses, trains, etc
Care – for staff dealing with long term mental health and learning disability patients in care homes
The programmes incorporate the NHS (Security Management Service) national learning outcomes for ‘Conflict Resolution Training’ and, where appropriate, the learning outcomes for ‘Promoting Safer and Therapeutic Services’.
Children – teachers, assistants and youth workers in schools, colleges, universities, detention centres, special needs
Course content for safer working with children and young adults
Effective conflict management requires action at organisational and individual level. Maybo’s conflict management programme addresses action at all levels. The programme helps staff develop skills to reduce the likelihood of incidents and to manage them effectively if they do occur.
Key content areas are:
- Understanding and planning responses to challenging behaviour
- Understanding factors that can escalate and de-escalate conflict
- Using effective verbal and non-verbal communication skills to defuse potentially violent situations
- What the law says about the use of force
- What to do after an incident of challenging behaviour
SAFERchildren programme does produce effective results:
Following a Maybo’s programme we did training in a school with resourced provision for children with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties,
- The number of incidents of challenging behaviour reduced by nearly 40%
- Pupil behaviour improved (reward time earned increased by more than 10%)
- The number of incidents of seriously challenging behaviour (that required more than 30 minutes to resolve) dropped by 80%
- The number of incidents of physical intervention dropped by more than 80%
Why the Maybo SAFERchildren programme worked:
This numerical evidence of effectiveness is further supported by observation of how staff behaviour changed following the training. For example,
- Staff made more use of effective proactive prevention techniques, rather than just relying on strategies to handle conflict when it occurred
- Staff changed their body language, to help them remain more calm, and to avoid sending accidentally aggressive signals
- Staff gave children more options and more responsibility to enable them to find their own resolution to difficulties.
Meeting the needs of all children’s services staff:
Maybo tailors its conflict management course to meet the needs and experiences of different groups of staff:
- Staff that work directly with children and young people have the opportunity to improve their understanding of conflict and develop their face-to-face skills
- Managers and policy developers learn about organisational approaches to reducing conflict and violence. They also develop skills in how to support their front line staff during and after an incident
- Administrators, teachers and support staff will learn about skills that help in dealing with parents and carers of children and young people
Case studies in all the above training that have been effective can be found in our blog, and regular updates are added every time both Quell and Maybo carryout effective delivery of training to reduce the risk of Workplace Violence and minimise the effect of consequences on all members of staff.
For further information on the course content and objectives please contact us at:
Phone: 02890 424362