Security Door Supervisor Courses – SIA Accredited
BIIAB Level 2 Award In Door Supervision
Who is the course for?
If you want to work within the private security industry as a qualified and licensed Door Supervisor you are required to carry out the training listed below. This course takes you through everything you need to know about the roles and responsibilities of a door supervisor, as well as how to deal with difficult and sometimes even violent situations. It will help you to recognise when people are becoming aggressive, or things are becoming heated and potentially dangerous; and it will equip you with the skills needed to calm things down before they escalate.
Anyone who successfully completes our Door Supervisor courses can work in many areas of the Security Industry from Security Guarding through to Event Security and other licensed premises.
What are the entry requirements?
No previous experience or qualification is required prior to entry, although learners must have an acceptable level of literacy and numeracy. At Quell, we do have systems and procedures in place to assist learners with any literacy and numeracy concerns they may have.
To enroll on the training and, in turn, to be able to apply for your SIA License, learners are required to provide 2 full face passport photographs and to provide evidence of your identity as set down by the Security Industry Authority (SIA).
How long is the course?
BIIAB Level 2 Award in Door Supervision is delivered over 4 days in the training room, with some additional work to be carried out in the evenings by yourself. (Please note support and guidance is fully given throughout)
The Level 2 Award in Door Supervision consists of four units:
- Working in the Private Security Industry
- Working as a Door Supervisor
- Conflict Management for the Private Security Industry
- Physical Intervention Skills for the Private Security Industry
Assessment – for this qualification, candidates will be required to complete the following assessments:
- A 40 question multiple choice examination on Working in the Security Industry. The examination will last for 60 minutes and candidates will be required to correctly answer 28 of the 40 questions (70%)
- A 45 question multiple choice examination on Working as a Door Supervisor. The examination will last for 1 hour and candidates will be required to correctly answer 28 of the 40 questions (70%)
- A 20 question multiple choice examination on Conflict Management for the Private Security Industry. The examination will last for 45 minutes and candidates will be required to correctly answer 16 of the 20 questions (80%)
- A practical assessment covering Physical Intervention Skills
The Units in the BIIAB Door Supervisor Courses are:
UNIT 1: Working in the Private Security Industry
Aim – This unit is intended for people who want to work in the private security industry and who require an SIA licence to practise. It covers those areas of content that are common across different sub-sectors: door supervision, security guarding, CCTV operations, vehicle immobilisation, and cash and valuables in transit.
- The purpose and main features of the private security industry
- The legislation that is relevant to people working in the private security industry
- Relevant aspects of health and safety in the workplace
- Application of fire safety principles
- Dealing with non-fire-related workplace emergencies
- The principles of effective communication and customer care in the private security industry
UNIT 2: Working as a Door Supervisor
Aim – This unit is intended for people who want to work in the private security industry and who require an SIA licence to practice. It covers the knowledge and understanding for areas that are relevant to the role of a door supervisor.
- Understand the behaviour appropriate for individual door supervisors
- Understand elements of civil and criminal law relevant to door supervisors
- Understand admission policies and search procedures
- Understand the powers of citizen’s arrest and related procedures
- Understand relevant drug legislation and its relevance to the role of the door supervisor
- Understand incident recording and crime scene preservation
- Understand licensing law and social responsibility relation to licensed premises
- Understand safety and security issues relevant to door supervisors
UNIT 3: Conflict Management for the Private Security Industry
Aim – This unit is intended for people who want to work in the private security industry and who require an SIA licence to practice. It covers the knowledge and understanding and/or skills for areas that are relevant to front line roles.
- The principles of conflict management appropriate to their role
- How to recognise, assess and reduce risk in conflict situations
- How to communicate effectively in emotive situations and de-escalate conflict
- How to develop and use problem solving strategies for resolving conflict
- Good practice to follow after conflict situations
UNIT 4: Physical Intervention Skills for the Private Security Industry
Aim – This unit is intended to provide candidates with a wider range of non-violent options for dealing with the most common scenarios involving physical contact in licensed premises. It does not offer a technique to cover every possible situation but provides a solid foundation in terms of knowledge and skills to further reduce risk to the customers and staff.
- Understand physical interventions and the legal and professional implications of their use
- Understand how to reduce the risk of harm when physical intervention skills are used
- Be able to use non-aggressive physical skills to protect yourself and others from assault
- Be able to use non-pain related standing, holding and escorting techniques, including non-restrictive and restrictive skills
- Understand good practice to follow after physical interventions
Don’t forget in house courses are run in Holywood with Free Parking and next to the Train Station for ease of travel. Inclusive we have your exam results within 48 – 72hrs and results are also uploaded direct to the SIA database, and therefore helps with you attaining your licence through the SIA quicker. If you want hassle free and a professional service then contact us.