Security Guarding Training Course – SIA Accredited
BIIAB Level 2 Award in Security Guarding
Who is the course for?
The purpose of the Level 2 Award in Security Guarding Training is to provide awareness of security issues to meet an increasing demand for well trained operatives in the security sector.
Anyone wishing to work as a security guard needs to have passed an SIA recognised course. By achieving this, prospective employers will be aware you have undergone a thorough and comprehensive course and fully observed the knowledge and understanding to meet any demands and have been trained in conflict resolution management. Holders of this security guard award can apply their skills to all types of duties, whether working in the public or private sectors. This is of increased importance, given the developing and changing roles of security guards with varying levels of duties and responsibilities. Typical security situations may include criminal activity, terrorist attacks, general emergencies and public safety situation.
What are the entry requirements?
No previous experience or qualifications are required, although learners must have an acceptable level of literacy and numeracy. At Quell, we have systems and procedures in place to assist learners with any literacy and numeracy concerns they may have.
To enroll on the training and, in turn, to be able to apply for your SIA License, learners are required to provide 2 full face passport photographs and to provide evidence of your identity as set down by the Security Industry Authority (SIA).
How long is the course?
BIIAB Level 2 Award in Security Guarding is delivered over 3 days in the training room, with some additional work to be carried out in the evenings by yourself. (Please note support and guidance is fully given throughout)
Assessment – for this qualification, candidates will be required to complete the following assessments:
- A 25 question multiple choice examination on Working in the Security Industry. The examination will last for 40 minutes and candidates will be required to correctly answer 20 of the 25 questions (80%)
- A 40 question multiple choice examination on Working as a Security Officer. The examination will last for 1 hour and candidates will be required to correctly answer 28 of the 40 questions (70%)
- A 30 question multiple choice examination on Conflict Management for the Private Security Industry. The examination will last for 45 minutes and candidates will be required to correctly answer 20 of the 30 questions (66%)
What does the course involve?
You must attend the 3 day workshop and complete 3 multiple choice exams on Working in the Private Security Industry, Working as a Security Officer and Conflict Management for the Private Security Industry.
The Units covered in the BIIAB Security Guarding are outlined below:
Unit 1 – Working in the Private Security Industry
- The purpose and main features of the private security industry
- The legislation that is relevant to people working in the private security industry
- Relevant aspects of health and safety in the workplace
- Application of the fire safety principles
- Dealing with non-fire-related workplace emergencies
- The principles of effective communication and customer care in the private security industry
Unit 2 – Working as a Security Officer
- The role of a Security Officer within the private security industry
- The importance of, and reasons for, patrolling
- How to control access to and egress from a site
- Basic search procedures
- The purpose and function of different types of technology, security and monitoring systems in the security environment
- The law and its relevant to the role of a security officer
- The importance and purpose of reporting and record keeping
Unit 3 – Conflict Management for the Private Security Industry
- The principles of managing conflict. Training is delivered in conflict management appropriate to their role.
- How to recognise, assess and reduce risk in conflict situations
- How to communicate effectively in emotive situations and de-escalate conflict
- How to develop and use problem solving strategies for conflict resolution management
- Good practice to follow after conflict situations
Don’t forget in house courses are run in Holywood with Free Parking and next to the Train Station for ease of travel. Inclusive we have your exam results within 24hrs and results are also uploaded direct to the SIA database, and therefore helps with you attaining your licence through the SIA quicker. If you want hassle free and a professional service then contact us.